MHI embraces a basic policy for employee health and safety founded on the following three commitments: (1) Safety is the number one priority. We will do everything in our power to protect lives; (2) We devote every effort to safety in creating outstanding products that contribute to the development of society; and (3) Our physical and mental wellbeing is fundamental to everything we do at MHI Group, and we must continue to elevate and embrace a culture of health and safety across our workplaces. This policy also applies to subcontracted companies engaged as a business partner with our employees. Based on these commitments, we operate an occupational health and safety management system throughout the Company to create a safe and pleasant workplaces. As of September 2020, two of the Group company (Note) have workplaces that have acquired the occupational health and safety management certification standard "ISO 45001". Plans for and progress related to occupational health and safety are regularly reported to and deliberated with the Senior Vice President in charge of HR. At the same time, the Central Production Committee, chaired by the Senior Vice President in charge of HR, also performs regular consultations and follow-ups on progress regarding health and safety management plans. Every month, the health and safety committee at each work location, comprising the health and general safety manager, employees, and the labour unions, meet with health and safety committees in each division. In addition, we consult with labour unions on a regular basis.
It is our standard practice to quickly report workplace deaths , accidents, and other health and safety risks to our management teams. Providing a summary of risk-control information and preventive measures at the meeting with managers and the Board of Directors is necessary. When some kind of occupational health and safety risk has exposed, such as death or major disaster, the Senior Vice President, the Senior Vice President in charge of HR have the department involved to provide a report in detail and shall instruct the department to inform and share with all workplaces within the Group any knowledge gained from the event; if necessary, emergency message shall be transmitted to all MHI Group employees.
- Coverage: 3.73% of employees
Frequency rate of industrial accidents requiring leave
(per 1 million working hours)
Manufacturing industry average
- Data is for MHI on a non-consolidated basis and 23 Group companies (coverage: 48.5% of employees), per 1 million total working hours.
Basic Policy for Employee Safety and Health
The MHI Group Health and Safety Policies
Our Health and Safety Principle
At the MHI Group, safety is the number one priority. We will do everything in our power to protect lives.
Our Health and Safety Policies
- Each and every one of us across the MHI Group must join forces as one united team to maintain and heighten our health and safety standards.
- We hold health and safety as a top priority at each of the MHI Group companies by establishing procedures, defining roles and responsibilities, and engaging in health and safety initiatives.
- To prevent occupational accidents or illness, we work to continually enhance our health and safety initiatives by setting measurable goals and evaluating results.
- We minimize risks at the workplace by assessing all potential issues and implementing appropriate measures to ensure a safe and secure work environment.
- It is a responsibility of each one of us at the MHI Group to learn, understand, and comply with our health and safety policies and procedures, as well as applicable laws and regulations, through education and training programs.
- Our physical and mental wellbeing is fundamental to everything we do at the MHI Group. We must continue to elevate and embrace a culture of health and safety across our workplace.
- CSR Management