Basic Policy on Environmental Matters and Action Guidelines
With environmental problems gaining recognition on a global scale, MHI Group established the Environment Committee in 1996 in order to clarify its attitude toward the environment, to express its stance to people both inside and outside the Company, and to direct and promote its environmental activities. At its first meeting, the Environment Committee formulated the Basic Policy on Environmental Matters and Action Guidelines (refer below), in line with the MHI Group's Principles: "We deliver reliable and innovative solutions that make a lasting difference to customers and communities worldwide." Since that time, the entire Group has worked to promote environmental initiatives through maintaining a dialogue with suppliers and other stakeholders in accordance with this Basic Policy and these guidelines. MHI Group made partial revisions to its Basic Policy on Environmental Matters and Action Guidelines in January 2018 with the approval of the Executive Committee, chaired by the President and CEO.
Basic Policy on Environmental Matters
Provision 1 of MHI Group's principles reads: "We deliver reliable and innovative solutions that make a lasting difference to customers and communities worldwide." This means that our primary purpose is to contribute to society through R&D, manufacturing and other business activities. The company shall undertake all aspects of its business activities with the understanding that it is an integral member of society and will strive to reduce its burden on the environment, contributing to the development of a sustainable society.
- Prioritize environmental protection within company operations, and take steps across the entire MHI Group to protect and enhance the environment.
- Clarify roles and responsibilities regarding environmental protection by developing an organizational structure to deal with matters related to environmental protection, and to define environment-related procedures, etc.
- Strive continuously to improve and enhance environmental protection activities not only by fully complying with environmental laws and regulations but also, when necessary, by establishing, implementing and evaluating independent standards and setting environmental goals and targets.
- Strive to alleviate burden on the environment in all aspects of company business activities, from product R&D and design to procurement of raw materials, manufacture, transport, usage, servicing and disposal, through pollution prevention, conservation of resources, energy saving, and waste reduction.
- Strive to develop and market advanced and highly reliable technology and products that contribute to solving environmental and energy challenges.
- Strive to preserve the environment in partnership with our stakeholders and gain their understanding of this policy.
- Take steps to raise environmental awareness among all group employees through environmental education, etc., while delivering environment-related information to the public and taking part in CSR activities.
Formulated in 1996 (Revised in January 2018)
(Paragraph 6 Supplementary Information) Stakeholders include suppliers, joint venture partners, licensees, external outsourcing companies, and other business partners. In addition, cases involving environmental due diligence and M&As will be taken into consideration.
Environmental Management Structure
At MHI Group, the MHI Group Environment Committee, chaired by the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) who takes charge of environmental management, promotes policies and initiatives shared throughout the Group. The Committee, whose members are selected from the domains and segments, and corporate units, drafts plans for deployment across all Group companies via the domains, segments of each business, and corporate units. The MHI Group's organizational chart for environmental management is shown below.
The MHI Group's Environmental Management Organization
The “MHI Group Long-Term Environmental Target” and the “Fifth MHI Group Environmental Targets,” which represent the Group’s medium-term goals, were established at a meeting of the Environment Committee held in March 2021. The Long-Term Environmental Target aims to decarbonize the Group’s business activities by 2050. The Fifth MHI Group Environmental Targets intend to reduce CO2 emissions, water consumption (water usage), and waste generation by FY2023. MHI Group will work together to achieve these goals in order to address the problem of climate change.
Long-Term Environmental Target (FY2050)
Decarbonize the Group’s business activities
The Fifth MHI Group Environmental Targets (FY2023)
- Unit CO2 emissions
- -9% Compared with FY2014 (Note)
- Unit water consumption
- -7% Compared with FY2014 (Note)
- Unit waste generation
- -7% Compared with FY2014 (Note)
- Consolidated Group Companies
- CSR Management
- Environmental Management
- Climate Change
- Water Risk
- Waste / Pollution
- Products / Projects that Contribute to the Environment