History : Nagasaki Shipyard & Machinery Works
Since then we have developed the two related businesses of shipbuilding and machineries, producing not only many of Japan's greatest ships but also a range of power generating plants and other machinery.
Today, more than 145 years of accumulated technological expertise are devoted to the cause of industrial progress, from the building of luxury cruise ships and high-speed freight boats, to the construction of high-efficiency power generating plants and the development of next-generation energy sources such as fuel cells.
Nagasaki seitetsusho Ironworks in the early 1870's
At the request of the Tokugawa Shogunate Government, a group of Dutch engineers with necessary materials and machine tools arrived at Nagasaki and started on the construction of the foundry, then called Nagasaki Yotetsusho.
The foundry was redesigned as ironworks and renamed "Nagasaki Seitetsusho." The ironworks was completed in 1861.
The Nagasaki Seitetsusho, the ironworks, was taken over by the Meiji Government and put under the control of Nagasaki prefectural judiciary.
No.1 Dry Dock was completed. (This dock was demolished in 1963 for the construction of new dry docks.)
Mitsubishi Company leased the works from the Japanese Government. (Foundation: July 7, 1884)
Akunoura Machine Shop in 1885
The works was renamed Mitsubishi Shipyard of Mitsubishi Goshi Kaisha.
No.2 Dry Dock was completed at Akunoura. (This dock was later demolished for construction of Material Supply Center.)
No.3 Dry Dock was completed at Iwasedo in 1905.
No.2 and No.3 Building Berths were completed. Nos.1 through 8 Building Berths were all completed by 1906.
Japan's first ship experimental tank for R&D center in 1907
Japan's first power generating turbine (output 500kW) was completed for the central power station of Mitsubishi Shipyard.
Gantry crane was completed on No.1 Building Berth.
Gantry cranes were completed on all building berths by 1939.
The works was transferred to the control of Mitsubishi Shipbuilding & Engineering Company, Ltd.
The Electric Department of the works was company of Mitsubishi Electric Manufacturing Company, Ltd.
Mitsubishi Shipbuilding & Engineering Company, Ltd. was renamed Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.
Gantry crane completed on No.2 Building Berth in 1936
The foundry of the works was separated and renamed Nagasaki Steel Works of Mitsubishi Steel Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
First turbine -generator unit(75,000kW) for amagasaki No.2 Power Station ,Kansai Joint Electric Power Co., Ltd. in 1938
World War ll battleship "Musashi" was delivered.
Tategami Shop in 1949.
The emperor inspects the postwar recovery of the shipyard.
The works became a possession of West Japan Heavy-Industries, Ltd. when the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. was decentralized into three independent companies
The works was renamed as Mitsubishi Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Ltd.
Centennial anniversary of the foundation of the works was celebrated.
Two 300,000-ton dry docks were completed as building and repair docks, respectively.
The three independent companies of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, decentralized in 1950, were merged again into one company under the name of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd., and the works was renamed the Nagasaki Shipyard & Engine Works.
Machinery Division production facilities modernization (assembly, machinery, and boiler shops) was completed.
Boiler-Tube and Pipe-Header Shops were completed at the Koyagi/Fukahori areas.
Koyagi Building Dry Dock was completed. Koyagi Repair Dry Dock was completed in 1973.
Main office was completed.
Coal Fired Boiler Shop was completed.
Isahaya Plant was completed.
Luxury cruise passenger ship "Crystal Harmony" was completed.
Space Equipment Shop was completed.
Electronics Shop was completed.
Megami Bridge was completed.
Wind Turbine Shop was completed. Cruise ships "Diamond Princess", "Sapphire Princess" were completed.
Solar Cell Factory was completed.
150th anniversary of the foundation of the works was celebrated.