President and CEO Izumisawa Offers Words of Encouragement to New Employees at the Company’s 2022 Welcoming Ceremony
Tokyo, April 1, 2022 - This morning Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) Group held an online welcoming ceremony at Shinagawa Intercity Hall (Minato-ku, Tokyo) for this year’s newly joining employees. To prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, participation at the ceremony venue was limited to employees in the Tokyo-Yokohama area. The proceedings were livestreamed to similar venues around the country, where local new hires attended. President and CEO Seiji Izumisawa offered words of welcome and encouragement to the new employees as they became members of MHI Group and began their professional lives.
Mr. Izumisawa first gave the new hires a brief overview of MHI’s history and business philosophy. He then elaborated on the points summarized below.
Summary of Mr. Izumisawa’s Message
- Today, as the social environment becomes increasingly complex and diversified, MHI Group is focusing on pursuing harmonious coordination rather than making choices between two conflicting avenues forward. To explain what I mean by this: Take realization of a carbon neutral society, for example. Instead of approaching this goal as a definitive choice between environmental or economic concerns, we believe it is important to coordinate the two, simultaneously and harmoniously. This is how we seek to make realistic contributions to achieving our ultimate goals.
- One of the main focuses of the Company’s current Medium-Term Business Plan, which was launched in April 2021, is to “set clear directions for achieving strong corporate growth going forward.” One way we seek to do this is through robust pursuit of the “Energy Transition,” which we view as a vital initiative for realizing carbon neutrality.
- In October 2021 MHI Group declared “Mission Net Zero,” our program for achieving carbon neutrality by 2040. But even prior to this declaration, through the years we have undertaken numerous initiatives in research and development in areas such as energy conservation, harnessing of new energies, and carbon capture. With our extremely expansive range of technologies, MHI Group is boldly addressing the pursuit of carbon neutrality – one of the greatest challenges mankind faces today.
- I ask that, as the newest members of MHI Group, you will join us in taking up this critical challenge, always maintaining keen awareness of our Group mission and never fearing change or failure.
- I have two overarching aspirations for you as new employees of MHI Group. They are what I refer to as “shu-ha-ri” and “the first person.”
- “Shu-ha-ri” is a concept in martial arts training describing the three stages encountered in one’s quest to achieve full mastery. It begins with “shu,” which involves learning precisely and faithfully what our teachers instruct us. The second phase is “ha,” in which one innovates and makes changes to what was learned in the first phase. Finally, in “ri,” the concluding phase, we depart from earlier precedents and act independently as we believe best. For starters, then, as new employees I ask you to first learn and fully master what you are taught by your senior colleagues
- What I refer to when I speak of “the first person” is this: Consider every work task as your personal task. Go about your tasks yourself, on your own initiative. Do each task to the best of your ability, even if you are unable to succeed by leaps and bounds. Also, never put blame for your own shortcomings on your work environment or on those around you. Always ask yourself what you are capable of achieving.
- Finally, I ask that you all do everything possible to minimize the risk of spreading the novel coronavirus. Always maintain constant awareness of “safety first” – the core principle of the manufacturing industry – and conduct both your work and your private lives with utmost attention to staying safe.
About MHI Group
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) Group is one of the world’s leading industrial groups, spanning energy, logistics & infrastructure, industrial machinery, aerospace and defense. MHI Group combines cutting-edge technology with deep experience to deliver innovative, integrated solutions that help to realize a carbon neutral world, improve the quality of life and ensure a safer world. For more information, please visit www.mhi.com or follow our insights and stories on spectra.mhi.com.