Mitsubishi Heavy Industries' Engineering Division
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Engineering, Ltd. (MHIENG) is an engineering company that partners with customers to add value to society through a combination of “hard infrastructure” manufacturing, cultivated over many years by the comprehensive machinery manufacturing companies of the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Group, and “soft infrastructure” engineering through the integration of materials, know-how and processes.
Engineering companies are staffed by professionals in all areas who have the specialized expertise and skills required to build the infrastructure upon which society depends. They accomplish this by procuring, utilizing and combining the most suitable technologies, expertise and human resources available worldwide. This is done in a “project” format which involves overcoming a variety of challenges in the course of completing the project. The first challenge is the huge scale of such projects.
From the initial estimate, contract negotiations and order acceptance to the final hand-over of the completed infrastructure to the customer, organizing a single project can take three to five years or even more, and require enormous amounts of manpower, materials, machinery and money. In addition, projects may be undertaken in many different countries and locations and are tailored to different client specifications; thus, no two projects are the same, and every one presents new challenges.
Each project is roughly divided into three phases: engineering, procurement and construction (hence, “EPC projects”). However, these EPC phases are performed concurrently rather than separately. This means that the success of a project depends upon the leaders of each area*1 being in constant contact and sharing information with the leaders of every other area.
Even after an EPC project is completed, engineering companies still need to apply their engineering skills to after-sales service and O&M.
MHIENG is equipped not only with specialized expertise but also project management strengths*2, coordination capabilities, the capacity for advanced manufacturing, the ability to perform deep analysis, outstanding systems, robust networks and other resources. All of these have been cultivated through extensive experience in helping the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Group execute its various projects, particularly its global infrastructure projects.
As an engineering company, we are proud of the significant advantage of having such resources and the ability to freely capitalize on them, in both confronting difficulties as well as in finding solutions when new challenges arise.
MHIENG was launched in January 2018 when Mitsubishi Heavy Industries spun off its Engineering Division as a separate company. This allowed us to start with an existing foundation of earned trust and proven ability accrued from nearly a half-century of diverse and global engineering projects.
As we look ahead to the future, we strive to accelerate the pace of innovation and expansion in our engineering projects aimed at the global market so that we can continue partnering with our customers to add value to society.
- *1 Processes and basic design, piping arrangement, civil engineering and construction, machinery and mechanical apparatuses, electrical systems and instrumentation, signaling and communications devices, cost control, schedule management, procurement, quality control, safety, etc.
- *2 At MHIENG, projects are carried out within a QCD (quality, cost and delivery) and project risk management framework which involves teams comprised of area-relevant members whose collective skill sets are optimally suited to the scope and characteristics of projects and who are led from the planning phase all the way through to project completion by a project manager who provides comprehensive and ongoing oversight of the entire project and its detailed aspects.
This framework is what is meant by the term “project management strengths.”
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries' Engineering Division
- Business Undertakings of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Engineering, Ltd.
- Ideal Candidate Profile
- Work & Personnel
- Interview/ Process design
- Interview/ Spatial (placement and piping) design
- Interview/ Civil engineering/architectural design
- Interview/ Equipment/mechanical design
- Interview/ Electrical design
- Interview/ Schedule control
- Interview/ Sales
- Interview/ Vehicle design・manufacturing